Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV Acropolis Rally 1997†&†
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution V†Catalunya†1998†by†Chris†Clark

Evolution IV†Hasegawa kit

Exterior

The body shell required some major work before any paint could be applied. Firstly the side indicator and fuel filler door recesses needed to be filled as these arenít on the rally version. Next I opened up both upper bonnet vents with a blade, drill and files. Also at this point I also opened the front grill in the same manner. This was very difficult due to the grill badge and the two points above the number plate.† These were all replaced with plastic mesh and they look a lot better for the effort. Opening the bonnet vent meant that an engine cam cover needed to be scratch built, so I machined one from carbon fibre, painted it red and added braided hose to it. This gives the impression that there is an engine in there.

Holes were drilled in the front for the spotlight mounting points.

The body was painted with Halfordís acrylic aerosol paints Vauxhall glacier white, and Peugeot cherry red. These were lacquered and then polished with T Cut. ( I now only use Auto Glym† super resin polish ).† Aerial bases were then added using turned items from Racing 43, the aerials are made from thin wire. I also added a scratch built GPS antenna to the boot lid.

The underside of the model was built straight from the box, with the only addition being kevlar decal on the sump guard and a few photoetch bolt heads added to the mud flaps.

Interior

The kit interior of the car was best described as basic, so a lot of modification, scratch building and extras were needed in this area.

The dashboard didnít have the co drivers trip computer so I made this from model putty and etched the displays into it using a modelling blade, files and a small drill. This was finished off with CF decal and fine wire for the switches, also used wire to make the toggle switches on the dash.

The seats were finished off with the addition of a Racing 43 seat belt set and wiring for the intercom units.

I scratch built a CB radio from plastic card and wire and made the radio bracket from spare photoetch frame, which was then painted with clear red to get that anodised look.

An intercom st0orage box was constructed from black painted card and wire, this is between the rear of the seats. Racing 43 intercom headsets were added, one in the storage box and one over the back of the co drivers seat. These were wired to the radio, which is attached to the storage box. Racing 43 helmets were added complete with intercom wiring, one is on the drivers seat, the other is hanging from a hook on the roll cage.

Racing 43 OMP fire extinguisher set was added complete with all the plumbing.

A hydraulic oil tank was constructed from model putty and plastic rod for the cap and placed behind the drivers seat. This is plumbed to the hand brake.† A Racing 43, co drivers map light was attached to the roll cage above the co drivers seat.

A spare wheel and tyre were obtained and this was fitted in the rear with a strap. I added a differential oil filler pipe† made from plastic rod, this is attached to the rear roll cage and goes to the floor under the spare wheel. All the electrical boxes were constructed from plastic card (There are 5 of these) and these were then finished with all the electrical wiring.

I made a wheel brace from plastic rod and attached this to rear driverís side door panel using bare metal foil to simulate the ring clips.† Add to the rear bulkhead, was a torch also made from plastic rod and a First Aid kit, made from modelling putty painted red.

Finally the netting was added to the rear roll cage using black dress making netting.

I was really proud of the finished result with this model, itís a shame that it was built for a friend and is not in my collection.

 

Evolution V Tamiya kit

This one was built for my own collection, and took me about 3 months to complete. I entered it at an IPMS model show and it not only won the car class, but also the Best in Show Award.

Exterior

Again this was painted with the same Halfordís paints listed above.

The exterior was pretty much built as standard straight from the box, but with the addition of bare metal foil for the exhaust heat shielding, kevlar decal on the sump guard, mirror glass on the side mirrors and tyre valves added from wire.

Interior

The Tamiya kit is a vast improvement over the Hasegawa kit with many of the things that I had to add to the Evo IV, already being in the kit.

The dashboard was finished off using Scalemotorsports Carbon Fibre decal. This was a long and arduous task taking 15 hours to complete, as the CF directions on each part are perfect to the real car. The dash was then detailed with wire for the toggle switches. The driverís and co driverís footplates were also done with carbon decal.

Again I made an intercom storage box from card and wire and added Racing 43 headsets and wiring.

The CB radio mic was added with the wiring and the intercom wiring added to the seats. The seats were finished off with a Racing 43 belt set.

Plumbing was added to the hand brake and hydraulic tank and to the fire extinguishers .

All electrical wiring was added to the electrical boxes and the fuel meter was added to the rear parcel shelf.

A spare wheel was obtained and attached again with a scratch built strap. A wheel brace was also constructed and attached to the rear door panel.

The model was finished off with the roll cage netting on the rear roll cage as per the Evo IV above.

I now have to build an Evolution III from Rally Finland 1995 (Shell),†Tommiís Evolution VI from Monte Carlo 2000, a Group N Evolution VI in Bastos colours and an Evolution VII when a kit is available.


Back